I’m not a pushy vegan, but many people are not exposed to the real facts & figures of the damaging consequences their lifestyle has being an omnivore (meat-eater) has on the environment and their own bodies. This post I have created is to list SOME reasons why veganism is the best lifestyle to adapt; aimed to help educate and open your mind to the real truth.
I was made aware of my consequences on animal welfare when I became intrigued by animal rights and I hated how animals were still used in testing products before human consumption, I stopped using any products tested on animals then I realised that it was hypocritical to say “I love animals” when I still had them on my plate. I went completely vegan after that. Then I came across the Cowspiracy Documentary which went on to discuss how animal agriculture is the leading cause of climate change giving off methane gas which accounts for 51% of the greenhouse gases surrounding our planet; so having animals on our plate is not only damaging the animal kingdom BUT killing our planet also.
Below is a list of 7 reasons why I believe we should all be vegans; to help save the planet, help our bodies and save animals. Simply read them you will be surprised by how much you DIDN’T know.
- Water consumption in ONE hamburger is = to taking 30 showers; growing feed crops for livestock uses 56% of water supplies. So why are we advise to take shorter showers to “save water” ?
- Deforestation is at its highest; animal agriculture causes 91% of the destruction of the Amazon rainforest to grow crops to feed livestock; 1-2 arces of the forest is cleared every second.
- Animal agriculture leading cause of climate change due to methane gas given off from farting cows making up 51% of emissions & this gas is more dangerous than cars planes and trains combined.
- We are currently growing enough food to feed 10 billion people; 50% of grain grown is used to feed livestock and 82% of the world’s starving children live in areas where the grain is grown yet starvation and malnutrition is at a high level.
- Livestock are feed hormones to speed up growth which are transferred into your body through eating them or drinking milk giving you high risks of heart disease, diabetes, strokes etc damaging your health & lowering your life expectancy.
- Animals are precious souls; they feel pain and sadness just like humans do. Thousands are killed every hour just to be supplied to western countries for mass consumption.
- Vegan food is AMAZING!
A vegan saves 1,100 gallons of water, 20 Sq.ft of forested land, 20 lbs of CO2 equivalent, 50 lbs of grain & ONE animal’s life every day!!
What did you do today?
“Be the change you wish to see in the world”