“Keep Naan and Curry on”
Curry has become such a staple in my diet since I became vegan in May last year, I would have it 2-3 times a week trying to mix up the recipe each time. Yesterday after my day shopping looking for some ice cube trays (which took ages; ended up buying some cute berries and orange slice shape moulds- super cute) I seen in my cupboard I only had one can of unsalted chickpeas left (sad times) and a bunch of celery in the fridge. So I thought “why not mix the two ingredients together for a curry?” Right, and what a great idea that was.
It was AMAZING, the celery gave the curry a refreshing taste, and the rice with added turmeric gave such a flowery sensation. The taste buds were really loving my new recipe. You also know it was a good curry when you go back for seconds, okay don’t judge me; I did have two rounds of the curry but it was healthy & I made such a large portion.
The image to the right shows this super tasty creation topped with some chia seeds and washed down with some strawberry water; how yummy, I am getting hungry just sitting writing this, cannot wait for dinner now. Can you guess what my dinner is going to include tonight? 😉 Yes that’s right some of this leftover curry.
But below is my recipe I put together to share with you guys maybe you will give it a go. I usually wing my measurements. What ingredients I added to the mix is listed to what I personally used to suit my taste you of course can add more veggies or more/ less spices. Let me know if you do try it out, if you like it and if you added anything else to your own personal curry.
Chickpea and Celery Curry with Turmeric Rice
Chickpea+ Celery Curry with Turmeric Rice & Garlic Bread- perfect for the curry lovers.
- 1 red onion (chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tsp. veg oil
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 3 celery sticks (chopped)
- 1 cup of peas (can or frozen)
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes (mines had added chilli)
- 1 cup of veg stock
- 1tsp. turmeric, cumin, coriander, onion powder & paprika (then adjust to taste)
- 1 cup of rice
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 2 cups of water
- Soften the onion and garlic in oil for 2 minutes in a medium pot, add half the veg stock to the mix.
- Then rinse your celery and chickpeas add them to the pot with the rest of the stock.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, peas and spices (add some water if the sauce is too thick) cook for 30 minutes stirring to stop anything sticking to the pot.
- Now add your rice and Turmeric to a smaller pot with the water (boiling water is preferred) cook for 30 minutes stirring and adding water if need be.
- Once your curry is thick an your veggies are soft enough for you to enjoy (I like mines crunchy so feel free to cook yours longer) you can serve up and enjoy!