Finally a black belt in cooking tofu!
So I thought I would share with you lovely people my new favourite recipe. It took me a little while to be able to share this recipe with you guys but I did find cooking tofu a difficult challenge- but I mastered it and ended up serving this wonderful creation with a lovely side of veggies.
On a side note- how cool does my new title photo look; felt like a proper photographer doing it. You will be seeing a lot more of it for a range of recipes I will be posting soon. Oh exciting!
I am sure many of you understand the struggles of getting the tofu cooking down to a tee and not just end up with a scramble at the end of your hard work! Although to be fair tofu scramble is the most amazing breakfast food out there! (Let me know if you would like to see my own tofu scramble recipe.)
Ok so tofu is that food where you have to press all the water out of the block before cooking. There are a range of different kinds of tofu from soft through to extra firm. Soft has a higher water content whereas firm has a lower water content- I use firm tofu simply because it has been proven to work better for me. To remove water content there is a device that you can buy that presses the tofu but kitchen items also work fine- simply pile something heavy on top of the tofu (“pressing” the water out) I use 2 paper towels around the firm tofu block, pressing together to just remove excess moisture before cooking with it.
This recipe has a high oil content but you can totally opt the fried veggies for steamed ones. You do need oil for the tofu if you are pan frying it; but you bake the tofu in the oven if you want to opt the oil completely.
So enough of my rambling- here is the recipe I promised. I hope you give it a try it was super yummy and filling! A really stomach pleaser.
Salted Chilli Tofu & 5 Spiced Rice
An Asian inspired tofu dish served with mixed veggies.
- For the tofu
- 400g tofu (I use firm tofu)
- 3 tbsp. cornflour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. chilli flakes
- 3-4 tbsp. coconut oil for frying For the rice
- 2 cups of long grain brown rice
- 4 cups of water
- 2 tsp. Chinese 5 spice For the veggies
- Any veggies you like
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil for frying
- Press your tofu using something to weigh it down to drain the excess moisture before cutting it into chunks.
- Mix the cornflour with the salt and chilli flakes then mix the tofu chunks in this mixture.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan then fry the tofu chunks until golden and crisp on the outside
- While you are cooking the tofu add your rice, spices and water to a pot and cook over a medium heat,allow your rice to simmer until fluffy and soft
- Fry up or boil your chosen veggies, then serve up your masterpiece and enjoy!
Have you had problems with tofu? Share your story with me comment down below or drop me a tweet @sophialeighblog I would love to hear these stories. Show me your Tofu masterpieces by using the #Greenievegan or tag me on Instagram- I’m @sophialeighblog