I’ve been wanting to do a zero waste challenge for a while now. I stumbled across the movement while researching the issue of single use plastic. I got intrigued to find out more so started watching lots of YouTube channels such as Eco Boost, Trash is for Tossers and Gittemary Johansen (to name only a few of my favourite zero wasters) I found out so much more about the damage our waste is doing to the environment. There are 2 billion coffee cups used by coffee shops in the UK and only 1 in 400 are recycled (with the lining in the paper being a thin plastic it can be difficult to recycle) It’s crazy to think about the amount of coffee cups alone being sent to landfill- and usually out live us.
So I had dedicated the month of February to my transition into zero waste living- I had made some swaps already which I will list below for you but over the month I will be adding more swaps to my lifestyle.
Also collecting all my ‘waste’ from this challenge in a large mason jar (what’s my aim? well to try and NOT fill the jar.) With a few days into the month I already have a few items in it (a broken hair tie, a wet wipe, plastic tag and a sticker from a book) I can’t wait to share with you my journey and the items I collect in this jar.
Swaps I’ve made so far:
- From plastic straws to stainless steel straws
- From plastic containers to glass containers
- From using tea bags to loose tea leaves & tea strainer
- From plastic bags to cloth totes & produce bags
- From packaged fruits and veggies to loose veggies
- From paper towels to micro fibre cloth towels
During the month I intend to:
- invest in a reusable water bottle
- invest in a reusable coffee cup for those coffees to go
- switch to a menstrual cup
- switch to using a cloth hankie
- switch to a bamboo toothbrush
- try make my own skincare products
Hope you come by to enjoy my new series for the month of February! You’ll get to see me go through zero waste for a whole month; sharing my reviews and experiences through this challenge. Have you wanted to do this before? or are you currently zero waste? Let me know below in a comment.
Check out my social media
Love Leigh x